A First Timer’s Guide To Tomorrowland
Episode 1: Acquiring Tickets
Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery…
Tomorrowland is widely known as the biggest dance music festival in the world. In only a short decade, this festival has exploded exponentially. It is a haven for dance music fans of every genre, and it is a total feast for the senses.
Tomorrowland is not just a music festival – it is a fully immersive experience that can only be described as stepping into a different dimension, in which electronic music is the very pulse of life.
Dance music fans all over the world dream of traveling to Belgium for the annual festival called Tomorrowland. This is the first in a series of blog posts detailing TIPS and TRICKS I have learned from my first time attending the festival in July 2014.
In the first instalment of this series, I tackle the first problem that people deal with when trying to attend this festival, which is acquiring tickets in the first place. I present the solution that my friends and I decided on, which was to purchase Global Journey packages in advance. Finally, I address some things that may help if you decide to try purchasing the tickets during the general ticket sales.
ACQUIRING TICKETS TO TOMORROWLAND… Close to impossible?
Lots of dance music fans have experienced disappointment after trying to purchase Tomorrowland tickets as this globally renowned festival sells out notoriously quickly. In 2013, the festival sold out of tickets in one second. You read that correctly- one second. Last year, for its tenth anniversary, Tomorrowland extended the celebrations from one to two weekends in July. And last year, Tomorrowland sold out of 360,000 tickets in less than an hour.
When my friends and I decided to go, our original plan was for all of us to be on as many devices as possible (laptops, cellphones, ipads..) on the morning that tickets released. However, we all live in different parts of the world. Two of us were in Vancouver, one in England and the other in Australia. It would have been very difficult to coordinate with one another. And even with us four using different devices, there was still no guarantee that we would be successful. Things happen. Systems can crash, the internet may lag, the bank may deny a large purchase on your credit card, etc etc. None of us wanted to risk the chance of losing out on tickets. Our minds were set that we wanted to go, and disappointment was not an option.
I’m not saying that it’s impossible to purchase tickets this way. We looked at our odds and agreed, however, that our chances were too slim and we need to ensure that we get our tickets.
We decided that we should purchase a Global Journey package. These packages are available to purchase AHEAD of the general ticket release date and will allow you to secure your tickets ahead of time.
Global Journey tickets for 2015 go on sale on the 24th of January, 2015.
What exactly is a Global Journey package?
Global Journey packages are put together by Tomorrowland as efficient, easy ways to organize your travel to the festival. You can choose from five packages: Flight, Train, Hotel, One Day Of Madness or Discover Europe.
Click here to access Tomorrowland’s Global Journey website.
Your Global Journey package includes your festival pass (also known as the Full Madness Pass), your choice of accommodation (Dreamville or hotel; more on Dreamville in the next post), and some cute novelty items like Tomorrowland newspapers and a goodie bag.
1. Flight packages include round trip flights to Brussels airport from many airports around the world. Check out the simulator at this link to find the one closest to you.
This package also includes your Full Madness Pass (festival ticket), accommodation– a choice between a type of Dreamville camping or hotel, all necessary transfers, a daily newspaper, and a Tomorrowland goodie bag.
2. Train packages include round trip train journeys from these stations:
London St. Pancras (London, UK), Paris Nord (Paris, France), Köln Hauptbahnhof (Cologne, Germany), Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof (Düsseldorf, Germany) or Amsterdam Centraal (Amsterdam, Netherlands).
As well as your Full Madness Pass (festival ticket), accommodation– a choice between a type of Dreamville camping or hotel, all necessary transfers, a daily newspaper and a Tomorrowland goodie bag.
3. Hotel packages are for people arrange their own transportation to Brussels, but wish to stay at a Tomorrowland themed hotel or various 3/4 star hotels.
This package will include your Full Madness Pass (festival ticket), hotel accommodation, transfers to and from the festival, a daily newspaper and a Tomorrowland goodie bag.
These last two are new additions to this year’s choices.
4. The One Day Of Madness global journey package is exactly what it sounds. Should you wish to fly to Tomorrowland just for one day, either Friday or Saturday, this is the package for you. You will take a Tomorrowland flight to Brussels, where a shuttle will pick you up and take you to the entrance of the festival. After the night is over, a shuttle will take you straight back to the airport.
5. The Discover Europe global journey package is a travel package that will take you to 4 or 5 European cities as well as Tomorrowland. This is definitely not the cheapest way to see Europe, but if you have the funds for it, it’s sure to be an amazing time as you will run into a ton of people who are also going to Tomorrowland.
The cost for doing the Global Journey package as opposed to purchasing our tickets and arranging our travel to the festival independently was, unsurprisingly, much higher. However, the fact that our tickets were guaranteed was a plus. Additionally, I believe that joining the Global Journey added to the whole experience because whether you choose a flight or train package, you will be surrounded by a plethora of smiling faces, all of you taking the journey together to Tomorrowland..
Flight Attendants in a Tomorrowland Global Journey Flight
We decided to go for a train package from London St. Pancras Station to Brussels Station. Upon arrival at the gate at St. Pancras, we were greeted by beautiful characters from Tomorrowland outfitted in their trademark colourful and mystical getup.
The lineup to get our train tickets was long- but there was a DJ playing really cool deep house. The music, along with the costumed Tomorrowland employees really helped set the mood for the weekend ahead. These small details helped build the excitement for a weekend in a magical land with 35,000 other people from across the globe who had one thing in common: the love for electronic dance music.
If you have the opportunity to combine Tomorrowland with a larger trip in Europe, the Train Global Journey package may be right for you. You can make your way to Europe through your own means. The trains to Tomorrowland leave from major travel destination cities in Europe outlined above, making it easy for you to plan your trip around the festival.
I’m not saying that it is impossible to get tickets the traditional way. It is just risky because tens and tens of thousands of other people are looking to get tickets at exactly the same time. The demand outweighs the supply, and this often results in disappointment and failure to purchase tickets. If you have your heart set on going to Tomorrowland this year, I really recommend purchasing a Global Journey package.
On the other hand, if you decide to purchase your tickets on the general ticket sales date, here are some things to consider.
- You are about to make a large, international purchase. Make sure to notify your bank before the tickets go on sale to let them know that you will make this purchase so that they do not block your card.
- Use as many devices in your possession and enlist the help of your friends. Your laptop, your tablet, your smartphone. Make sure that they are all well charged and connected to the internet. The refresh button is your friend.
- Be ready well in advance of the ticket sales time. Set an alarm for an hour before the ticket sales open and be prepared with your credit card details.
NEXT UP: In the next instalment of my Tomorrowland series, I will be talking about Dreamville!